The library began as a home-based reading center to which Mrs. Emily Heintzelman gave many books. The land for the original building was deeded to the trustees of the Heintzelman Library by Laura A. and Scott Barton. In 1907 the stone and wood building which first housed the Horicon Free Public Library was completed and inscribed as the Heintzelman Library. Twenty-five years later, the town of Horicon assumed responsibility and the library has been tax supported since then. In 2001, the Town built a Community Center, including a larger library. This enabled the library to meet state standards, and to accommodate the increasing needs of the community.
The Horicon Free Library is a member of the Southern Adirondack Library System (“SALS”). Our membership provides the Horicon Free Library and the people living in the Town of Horicon with many benefits, including the following:
- Easy and efficient resource sharing: the Interlibrary Loan service is invaluable.
- Access to electronic technologies
- Participation in innovative projects and programs
- SALS provides forums for sharing ideas, experiences, and information among libraries across a wide geographic area
Lou Ann Guthrie